Laptop (Computer) Review
For many years people have regarded the computer as a tool to use for work or study while the TV has been a gadget for leisure time. This attitude began to change as more sophisticated computer games became a huge industry, but somehow the dividing line between computer and TV still seemed like an impenetrable psychological barrier. This barrier is now breaking down for one very good reason. We find we have been paying out far too much money to subscribe to cable TV while many of our favorite shows can be watched online for a fraction of the cost.
There are now many opportunities to watch TV shows online. The websites of the major TV networks all make available an offering of past episodes of popular shows. There are opportunities to watch news updates, chat shows, previews of sporting encounters or landmark documentaries for no extra cost online. For other TV shows that may not be available on those sites, or for the latest movie offerings, it is now possible to subscribe to services such as Netflix or Hulu and make a selection from their hundreds of offerings.
What We Liked
- The ease of use of the laptop means that it is convenient to visit the relevant TV network websites and to subscribe if necessary to offerings from sites like Netflix.
- The mobile nature of the laptop means that the shows can be viewed while on the move, from any location, without any need to be perched in front of the TV at home.
- It is also possible to link up the laptop to the TV and let the whole family share the show on the TV.
What We Didn’t Like
- Sometimes it’s necessary to hunt around a bit for a show you like that is not part of the offering provided by the TV network.
Who Is This Recommended For?
- Anyone who wants to watch TV or movies while on the move;
- People who want to save the expense of cable TV;
- Anyone who cannot get out of the house to rent videos or go to the cinema.
- Apart from the equipment and the subscription to the Internet service provider for web access there is no further charge for online TV viewing. Payment will be needed for rentals of movies or TV shows from sites such as Netflix.
- A laptop and a web browser are required. If your laptop has an HDMI port you can stream from your laptop to your TV using a cable. Alternatively a wireless connection could be used.